Saturday, May 5, 2012

Ahhhhh Internet

Cinco de Mayo, 2012

Manahoana daholo!  I am currently sitting on the couch in the Tana transit house (Meva), after a long day.  We said goodbye to the rest of the group, heading off to their sites, and thought we were leaving Mantasoa and the training center at 6 am this morning.  Apparently there was a communication break down, because 3 hours later, one van showed up for 8 people and 16 bags and 8 metal trunks.  This is why they require flexibility haha.  So we decided to all go in the van and told them to send another car for our stuff.

So then, a couple hours later, we made it to Tana, and went shopping  and got lunch in town.  Jumbo, the big box store similar to Wal Mart or Target, was such a culture shock after the small town life in Mantasoa.  I didn't even know where to start or hat to do with myself.  The prices are also really expensive, so I had to limit what I purchased.  I mostly decided on things that make rice taste better and things to put on bread for breakfast haha.  Also tea and chocolate, ya know, the essentials haha.

Tonight and tomorrow I will mostly be enjoying the free wifi here and perhaps attempting to eat my way through Tana, since there is so much good food here.  Then Monday I head to my region to start meeting all the important people, and Wednesday, I watch the Peace Corps van drive away and I am officially on my own.

Looking forward to it!
Also, upon the request of Karen Goins, I am going to write a basic Malagasy language info sheet.  Excited to share this with all of you!

Love,
-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment