Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Saying Goodbye to the FYFG Stage, and Moving Forward


June 4, 2014

Sorry it has been so long since my last post.  Things are winding down here, and therefore I have been pretty busy try to wrap everything up.  I have about a month and a half remaining, but let me catch you up on what happened in the last couple of months.

So going back to April.  My contract was supposed to end in April, but as you know, I decided to stay 3 months longer.  My stagemates, however, mostly went home, which was pretty difficult for me.  When you spend two years with a group of 25 people as your support system, it is hard to let them go.  I am so proud of all they accomplished, and happy that they are back with their families, and moving forward with their lives.  Several of them, like me, will be going to get their masters degrees.  I can’t wait to meet up with all of them in America and see what all they are up to.

But, never fear, the new volunteers are here! A whole new crop of agriculture and health volunteers arrived for training in Mantasoa at the end of February, and Eric, Emma, and my replacements arrived in Itasy at the end of April.  While I very much miss Eric and Emma, it is nice to have new volunteers around.  It is funny spending time with volunteers so early in their service, because it makes you realize how much you have learned.  They are full of questions that I didn’t even know I knew the answer to.  They are also wowed by my language skills, since I have been here so much longer than them, haha.

As for work, I am spending most of my time planning and implementing my 7 sports tournaments in association with my moringa nutrition project.  So far 4 down and 3 to go, whoohoo!  The rest of my time is spent doing follow-up work and some meetings with all of the people that I have worked with.  It has been a little hard to think that I am leaving these people so soon.  It is also hard to take the backseat in projects and with work groups.  I leave so soon, and I need to make sure that my little birdies know how to fly without me.  It is great to see them do well on their own, but there are some decisions that I would make differently, and I am learning to let those things go.

Well that is all I have for now.  I so much look forward to coming home and seeing all of you soon!
Love,
-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment